Wednesday, January 8, 2014

S. L. Jennings: Fear of Falling

S. L. Jennings

Fear of Falling

Synopsis:

I can't remember the last time I felt completely safe. Security seemed more like a luxury to me, reserved for those who were fortunate enough to have picture perfect childhoods. For those who didn't bear the ugly scars that keep me bound in constant, debilitating fear. I've run from that fear my entire life. But when I met him, for once, I couldn't run anymore.
He scared the hell out of me in a way that excited every fiber of my being. It wasn't the tattoos or the piercings. It wasn't the warmth that seemed to radiate from his frame and blanket me whenever he was near. It was just...him. The scary beautiful man that threatened to alter 23 years of routine and rituals, and make me face my crippling fear.
My name is Kami and I am constantly afraid. And the thing that scares me the most is the very thing I want.

July 15, 2013
 
Review:

Such a heart-breaking story. This story will truly touch you. It touches on a subject that many Americans face every single day, but are sometimes to scared to admit that it is happening. Nobody really knows what type of effects abuse will pose on a person. Everyone reacts differently. This particular character takes on an extreme case of phobias. I believe that they are all justified. Just the fact that Kami was able to get up every morning and have a somewhat normal life is more than many people can say. After everything she had endured, she found the will to live. I was truly touched by this story and felt everything the character was feeling. I couldn't believe that just how troubled the girl was and how she was able to function the way she did. And the fact that this story was based on actual events broke my heart. I'm not sure to what degree this is all true, but even just small amounts of it are, is so sad. I would definitely recommend this book, but it is not something you should take likely. If you don't think you can handle some serious heart-wrenching facts, do not read. Be prepared to want to cry your eyes out for several of the characters in this book. Be prepared to not be able to understand how some people can be so cruel to others.




No comments:

Post a Comment